Saturday, March 24, 2018

FOUR - Genealogy Research NEEDS organization

LENORA JENNINGS "VERI" Toronto Ontario 1957


Genealogy research needs Organization


There is a note pad with "notes", a binder with random pages of information. Also a file envelope of many bits of paper with notes jotted down, and then a bunch of single papers with "to do" lists and suggestions. 
Everytime I did a search there was a note detailing why I thought this one "could be" my mom. I also made a note of the family members so I could see if they fit the profile ( 2 sisters and a brother, all older ) The information was becoming a mish mash of over load. It was time to get serious!

It took a full 2 DAYS of sorting, writing and filing to get thru all the papers. I splurged on a multi purposed binder with indexes and envelopes to organize the information I already had collected. The amount of Duplicate profiles was amazing...and such a waste of my time. I realized from this point on, I needed to use my time more productively. AND keep better notes of my searches.


I decided to have a separate section for each person - MOM, dad, Tina and myself. There is a file section for Documents, and another for Certificates. I still have to figure out how to keep myself searching in the right direction. Right now I'm using colored "Stickies" @ my PC. It's too easy to get sidetracked.

FIND OTHERS SEARCHING THEIR FAMILY TREE


I made a new friend (Lou) on FB who taught Genealogy for many years. She has been the person driving me in the right direction for my search for LENORA JENNINGS. She asks all the right questions, which leads to other questions I need to be looking for. Better than staring @ my PC screen for direction - LOL

I also went to a Search group @ the LDS church ( Latter Day Saints ) There are 5 PC's set up, all connected to full memberships on the various Search sites, like ANCESTRY.CA and FAMILY SEARCH.org There was a hand full of "helpers" at LDS who get you started in your search.  I learned a few tricks from them how to use the different search venues on Ancestry. My best advice is to @ least check out one of these places...btw, they did NOT try to get me to join the Church or convert me. As a matter of fact no one even mentioned religion.

GENEALOGY DIRECTION



LENORA ANNE JENNINGS - PROFILE SEARCH
With only my mom's name, this is how I am conducting my search


my BIRTH CERTIFICATE Long version
Has MOMs name and age at time of my birth, and State she was born in. ( KENTUCKY ) It does NOT show Date of birth or any identifying information

PARENTS MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
It showed a discrepancy for MOMs age, and had her place of residence at time of marriage. ( CHICAGO ) Again NO identifying information

DIVORCE DECREE
This was filed in MIAMI-DADE FLORIDA and there was NO identification saying where my mom lived, or date of birth. My dad was living in Canada, so not sure how he filed there...guess he could have been on vacation?

U.S. CENSUS
This is a great place to work from "IF" you know ANY family history...but I do NOT. So for me, it's looking @ names blindly. IF I knew even one person's name who was a sister or family member of my mom, this would work. I have contacted many people on ANCESTRY who have Public Family Trees for JENNINGS, but so far NO one knows my mother.

FIND A GRAVE
They have alot of graves, which again would be helpful IF I knew exactly where my mom was from. Even though she listed Kentucky as place of Birth, I don't know her Birth date. Looking thru the Graves is good IF I knew more facts

I just have to keep moving FORWARD, and NEVER give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment