Sunday, March 18, 2018

TWO - ANCESTRY.ca 2 week Subscription STARTS it ALL!


Lenora Jennings "VERI" wedding picture March 7 1953


ANCESTRY.ca ~ Free 2 week subscription!


The questions have always been there....what happened to our BIRTH mom? Where did she go when she lost custody of my sister and I? Did she get married, have other children, and enjoy the rest of her life? Did she ever try to reach us? I am 64 years old and struggle to understand.

I suppose there was a lot of things in play that prevented her finding us, and vice versa. Those were the days before cell phones and computers. My sister and I didn't have any money or mom's personal information to start a search. My sister Tina and I also lived on our own, but without a phone. BUT It doesn't solve anything to look in the small rear view mirrow (what is Behind you ), best to look in the Large FRONT window and concentrate on where you are going "now"  It is difficult though to Not wonder about how different our lives could have been IF we had stayed in touch with our mom.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda


Tina and I spoke many times on the odd random little memories we had of our lives with mom. We would also say "we should write this all down so we never forget" BUT of course we did NOT. The memory of an eight and a ten year old who spent much of those years living with other families, have little recall.

My mothers side of the family had an inherited bowel cancer called " FAP " Our mother had it, and we heard a few of her siblings died from it. Unfortunetly my sister also had FAP, and had 3 major surgeries. Tina died in 2009 at the young age of  52. My dad suffered from Parkinsons the last decade of his life, and he passed away Sept 2017. Now I AM FREE to search for my MOM...but now I am on my own for remembering the small fragments of our young years with her. ALL I have is her name - this will be a Challenge!


Ancestry, Family Search, 23 and me


Around Xmas 2017 I saw alot of advertizing for a FREE 2 week trial of Ancestry. Yeah, yeah - Nothing is free...but I signed up. It's then I discovered I had set up an account years earlier??? But I had not signed up for the "Paid" searches.  I started searching and it was like a drug. The problem was the FREE search was only for Canada, so I used it every nite to search out my dads side of the family. Well I was shocked to find out all kinds of things I had never known. There were still births, names, dates and it was enough to peak my interest in doing more searches. Before my FREE 2 weeks was up, I SUBSCRIBED for WORLD searches!!! Ancestry dangled it's lure and I took the bait - LOL

https://www.ancestry.ca/
~

I wish I could say I found out really interesting things about my mother and the search was super easy...NOT!!!! I have  looked under every imaginable name spelling, different states, various guesses about her age, but so far NOTHING.I also keyed in my 1/2 brother Steve's name. But I don't know his adopted name, birthday or where in the USA he was born, doubt I will ever find him. It's been a bit frustrating and I can't believe how many times I have stayed up til 3am searching. Sometimes after searching for long hours, my eyes see double and my brain is drained. All I can do it look at the PC screen trying to figure out what the heck am I missing? I will detail my fruitless journey next!


No comments:

Post a Comment