Saturday, April 28, 2018

SEVEN - Becoming an Ancestry DNA Detective

LENORA Anne JENNINGS 1957 Toronto Ontario

Becoming an ANCESTRY DNA Detective

The last ten days have been a FLURRY of BRAIN CELL activity! SO much to do with the Ancestry DNA results.  I read everything I could to make sure I covered all the bases. I must say I am quite Happy with my Minimal success. A few months ago I knew "Nothing", now I know there are DNA matches out there - some how it feels like progress.

Some of the DNA matches on ANCESTRY have family trees attached to their DNA results. I scoured over them, looking for any JENNINGS....not much to find. Then I had a DUHHHH moment and realized that there Could VERI well be someone who IS a Jennings, but got married and is now a Smith or ?  So then my plan of action was Researching every single name on someones Family Tree to see if some where in the Past there was a Jennings. Almost always, there was NOT!!!! This wasn't going to easy - EEEEK


WHY do I need GEDmatch?

 

I watched "YOUtube" videos, joined FACEBOOK Ancestry groups and even checked out a bunch of "PINterest" for suggestions on what to do next. I learned about GEDmatch, a docking place for your DNA results....regardless of what company you took your test from. Once you Upload your DNA results, you can Compare them with whomever has their DNA results on GEDmatch.

It took a few days before I was able to do a comparison of "ONE to MANY"  Basically it is ONE (my DNA) compared to MANY (all other DNA submissions) There is SO many to see. I read Everything I could on the GEDmatch site, and it really helped. When I looked at the page it didn't seem like there was any order, but clicking the arrows on the headings I was able to use the chart better. All my highest DNA matches were first, and the cMs and segments were easier to see.

The Best thing about GEDmatch is the emails they provide, so you can contact your DNA matches. They suggest to do a thorough comparison on their site to make sure Before emailing. It was easy enough to do, so I double checked my entries before sending an email. I noticed some of my best matches were also the same people from ANCESTRY.CA  I felt more confident writing to the matches using the information confirming our connection from TWO sites.  Amazing feeling to write to distant "family" just do NOT expect alot of replies. YES I even read about "HOW" to properly address your DNA matches. You have to dangle a bit of information you have gathered, without spilling all the beans. You definetely do NOT want to say "hey I'm looking for my mother Lenora" WHY, because maybe they Know her and she does Not want to be found. 
Take it nice and slow Grasshopper - Patience in a Virtue!


GEDmatch Tier 1


SO, I'm on GEDmatch, reading, comparing, and not really getting a feeling for what I am looking at. I notice off to the side on the page is an offer for their Upgraded "TIER 1" membership. It's $10 a month OR you can choose a One time $10, which seemed like a super fair deal. WOW, the $10 was worth every penny. With the Tier 1, you can click on 3D or 2D comparisons with the matches of your choice. The colored visual really seemed to tell the tale. You can even see the different Segments of your DNA and compare them to whom ever you want. You get a glimpse into the Crazy world of DNA brainiacs....I didn't understand it all, but the colors helped my brain accept the facts.

Bet you are wondering about my replies....patience Grasshopper - LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment